Atripla "Blip" after 4 months?

I was diagnosed in Feb2012 with a VL of 32,000 and a CD4 of 870 with no resistance. I began taking Atripla on March 17, 2012. After 6 weeks of treatment my next tests showed an improvement of VL-930 and CD4 of 800. My latest results, taken on 6/1/12 and taken at a new lab, were less than what I hoped. VL-1450 and CD4-680. I have been sick with the flu recently but take my meds religiously without fail. I see that it is not uncommon for there to be a "blip" with Atripla after people become undetectable. Can this also happen before, such as my case after 2.5 months of taking them? Also would a different lab play into factor and the fact I have had a cold?

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's a simple explanation to your recent increase in viral load- you mention that you had been sick with the flu. Having a infection or flu or other immune system activation usually causes transient increases in HIV viral load. As you can imagine, this can happen at any time, 2.5 months after starting, for example.

All I'd do right now is to continue to be as adherent as possible to your medications, and dialog with your doctor about getting a repeat viral load sometime in the near future (when you're not sick).

Be well, BY

one dose therapy
On PEP, Truvada Kaletra, Missed 1 dose of Kaletra