one dose therapy

I am currently taking a multi-tablet dose of norvir, truvada and prezista. I hate it. I have tried atripla in the past and my cd4 went to 12. I just recently found out that after being non-detectable my cd4 dropped from 800 to 117 so current therapy isn't working. I do not want to take more meds. Is there any once a day single tablet therapy I can get on? Thanks! Russ

Hi Russ and thanks for posting.

There are two currently approved single tablet regimens- Atripla and Complera (tenofovir/FTC/rilpivirine) and one that will likely be FDA approved by the end of the year (tenofovir/FTC/cobicistat/elvitegravir- the "Quad").

Before deciding on a switch in medications, it'd would be useful to consider a few aspects- first, why is it that you hate your current medications? Is it the pill number or side effects or some other factor?

I have a more pressing concern about why your CD4 count dropped to 117. Has this been confirmed? Are you otherwise ill? Do you take other medications or supplements that might be causing toxicity?

No matter what, you will continue to take 3 or 4 medications- any less and you won't have a sufficiently potent regimen to suppress the virus. What you might have is a regimen with fewer pills or fewer side effects.

There are a large number of medication options; for more information, I'd suggest looking at our Resource Center of Starting Treatment, and of course to discuss your concerns with your healthcare provider.

Be well, BY

Initial treatment with the least noticeable mood changes
Atripla "Blip" after 4 months?