Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Increasing viral load
Jun 12, 2012

I found out about the HIV status 7 years ago. My CD4 count has been varying 750 and 800 and viral load between 3000 and 5000. The past year, the viral load has increased drastically to 24000 and CD4 count has remained at 800 beside the increase in viral load. I have been protecting myself and I eat healthily and exercize. What could be causing such a drastic increase in viral laod and is there anything I can do to bring it down?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

HIV viral loads fluctuate quite a bit, and it wouldn't surprise me at all that your single test of 24,000 reflected a transient activation of your immune system- such as can happen from insignificant things, like a cold, or sinus infection or herpes flair.

Since your CD4 count didn't change with this test, I'm reassured as well.

So, nothing needs to be done, nor any need for concern. Just have the test repeated at your usual time interval.

Be well, BY

Previous
HELP! 4 months negative but still sore throat?
Next
Risk from oral sex during jock itch episode

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.