Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

vitiligo and hiv antibody test. Dr. Young Please help follow up, one last time please give me your expert advice.
Jun 12, 2012

Dr. Young, I am just coming from the pediatric dermatoligist office. My daughter has developed a small white patch on her finger two months back, the doctor told me that it is vitiligo. It is a tiny white spot.

This is the same guy who asked you the question about my 3 and half year old who had a blood contamination incident.

She was tested at 6 weeks after the incident, we got the result the same day that it was negative and then she was tested at 5 months 20 days after the incident. I think the elisa came positive and that is why they sent it out to california and after 11 days the western blot was negative.

Here is my previous post link. http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q222620.html

So now i am even more worried, as the doctor told me that it could be caused by autoimmune disease.

1) Is vitiligo a symptom of hiv infection? 2) can vitiligo be transferred from that blood contamination incident. 3) Does Vitiligo affect her HIV antibody test result, as i heard some autoimmune conditions might affect the HIV antibody test result? If so do i need to get a PCR done for my kid. She is always on budesonide for her cold and cough. So now i am more worried about the budesonide use and now this vitiligo if they affect the HIV and Hepatitis antibody test result.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello again,

You have nothing HIV to worry about. Vitiligo is not associated with HIV, nor is associated with any blood contamination, nor affects the HIV tests.

Please, stop worrying about your daughter having HIV- it's only causing you undue stress and anxiety.

BY

Previous
Complera
Next
CMV and high cd4 count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.