Doubt about first HIV symptoms

Hello, doctor.

I had unprotected sex for the first time ever with my boyfriend in January. After that I have not had any symptoms that could actually tell me If I have HIV and I have read some mixed information about the window period to take the test. The only thing I have noticed are some spots on the sole of my feet. Some look like moles but there are two others that look like a dot. None of them are quite dark, just visible from above the skin. My question is If this can be a skin symptom of the virus and how much longer should I wait to take a blood test? Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. McGowan

What you describe does not sound like HIV, especially since you have no other symptoms. Other infections, such as syphilis, can cause rashes that also involve the palms and soles. Now we are 5-6 months after your sexual contact which would be more than enough time to have an HIV test (most would be positive by 3 months). Go to your doctor and discuss your symptoms, get screened for HIV and sexually transmitted infections, and discuss ways you can protect yourself from catching an STD.

Joe

HIV or not
Complera and diet