hiv infection through anus

While having protected sex with a sex worker, she squirted while ontop of me and her vaginal fluids moved down to my anus. I felt her fluids reaching down in my anus while I remained seated. What is my risk of hiv/STD infection. JIM

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Jim,

Vaginal fluids may contain HIV if a person were infected. However, the risk of transmission through an exposure to intact skin is essentially zero and is very low through mucous membranes. The reason that anal sex is such high risk is due the trauma that accompanies insertive sex, which did not occur in this case. There was no break or microscopic injury to the anus that could allow HIV to enter. Also with receptive anal sex the ejaculate stays in contact with the deep mucous memberanes for a prolonged time, which also was not the case here. I would not consider this a risky exposure to HIV.

Other STDs, especially syphillis are easier to spread. It is always good to have a routine screening for HIV and STDs if you are sexually active outside a monogomous relationship.

Joe

oraquick advance oral mucosal transudate
tpha positive