The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My child free from HIV - Thanks for this wonderful website
Jun 8, 2012

Hello Doctor, I had posted few questions before regarding my status and pregnancy. Me and my wife are HIV positive. We planned a child and followed ART as per doctors advice. I frequently visit this site for my doubts and always found good results. Now my wife gave birth to a male baby. After 6 weeks ( as per doctors advice ) he was tested for HIV - HIV DNA PCR and results are : HIV 1 - NOT DETECTED, HIV 2 - NOT DETECTED. This gave us a great relief - Thanks to GOD. Again the child will be tested after 6 months ( and again after 2 years ) for the same but may be different tests.

I am posting this as this may give great hope for those who are planning for a child free from HIV.

Doctor, Please advice me if anything to be taken care additionally for my child?

Thanks a lot doctors.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and congratulations on your baby!

If the HIV screening tests are negative now and the child isn't breastfeeding, there's no chance that the baby will be HIV+. Yes, the standard protocol would be to retest in a few months, but that's largely to make sure that the mom's HIV antibodies (not the virus) clear the child's system.

While there are plenty of things that are important for the best nurturing of your child, there's little that's different for raising a HIV negative child in a positive household.

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story. Stay in touch, and I hope that you'll update our readers from time to time as your baby boy grows.


cd4 cells

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint