Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Memory loss, from Indonesia.
Jun 4, 2012

Dear Dr Benjamin Young, Thank's a lot for your answer. Your answer means so much for me to keep stay alive and once again make me believe there is still hope out there.

Last year I visited a Country which I have been evaluated by two neurologists and they found out I got mild NCI but not Dementia. Since the country I visited is not tolerant to HIver, so I kept my status secret. They just suggested me to take ginkgo biloba.

The doctor in indonesia whom I had been seeing for the last 8 years is a good Pulmonologist but just with little understanding about memory. In Indonesia we really lack of experts in neuro+HIV. Are there medications or vitamins for this memory problem.

Please help and God bless you.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting again.

Absent an expert in HIV neurology, I'd suggest having an evaluation from a qualified neurologist (even if they are not expert in HIV). This would help sort out if there were any non-HIV-related issues that could be the cause of NCI.

To my knowledge, there aren't any specific vitamins to treat this (though many will irresponsibly claim this, even without scientific proof).

Without any other clear interventions, there are some clinical studies that suggest benefit in switching antiretroviral regimens to include medications that cross into the cerebral spinal fluid. This is called CPE (CNS Penetration-Effectiveness). Medications that have high CPE scores include zidovudine, indinavir (boosted) and nevirapine; next highest are abacavir, emtricitabine, efavirenz, the boosted PIs darunavir, fosamprenavir and lopinavir, maraviroc and raltegravir. If your regimen does not currently include at least two of these medications, it's possible that a switch could help.

In any event, periodic clinical and diagnostic monitoring makes good sense, as does keeping your mind active though reading, and memory exercises.

Be well, BY

Previous
detectable viral load after being undetectable 18 months
Next
Calcium + D

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.