Storing meds

Hello doc thanks for what u do, i read all you post and I keep learning. I have a question about storing my meds. I use truvada norvir and prezista. I keep them in a dry place but it happen I need to travel and I put my pillbox in the luggage, then the back of my car and temperature can raise considerably. I wonder if that can affect the validity of my drugs.

Second question: when I am out for dinner (my meds time) I carry a smaller pillbox in the pocket. Is that heat dangerous as well?

Thanks from Italy

Hello and thanks for posting.

If your traveling, I'd suggest taking only enough medicine for your trip, plus a couple of days extra (as insurance agains flight delays). Always, always, carry your medicines in your carry on luggage, since it's entirely possible that the airlines could loose your bags (or at least misplace them).

I'd recommend keeping your pill box in a cool, dry place- if it's really going to be hot, you might even consider getting a small reusable ice pack to keep the box cool in the back of the car. It's probably fine to keep the box in the trunk, but I'd hate to speak to the stability of the medications if they get up to 150F.

As for your second question, it's entirely fine to carry a smaller pill box in your pocket for a few hours.

Hope that helps, BY

Antiviral meds n testing
detectable viral load after being undetectable 18 months