Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Storing meds
Jun 4, 2012

Hello doc thanks for what u do, i read all you post and I keep learning. I have a question about storing my meds. I use truvada norvir and prezista. I keep them in a dry place but it happen I need to travel and I put my pillbox in the luggage, then the back of my car and temperature can raise considerably. I wonder if that can affect the validity of my drugs.

Second question: when I am out for dinner (my meds time) I carry a smaller pillbox in the pocket. Is that heat dangerous as well?

Thanks from Italy

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

If your traveling, I'd suggest taking only enough medicine for your trip, plus a couple of days extra (as insurance agains flight delays). Always, always, carry your medicines in your carry on luggage, since it's entirely possible that the airlines could loose your bags (or at least misplace them).

I'd recommend keeping your pill box in a cool, dry place- if it's really going to be hot, you might even consider getting a small reusable ice pack to keep the box cool in the back of the car. It's probably fine to keep the box in the trunk, but I'd hate to speak to the stability of the medications if they get up to 150F.

As for your second question, it's entirely fine to carry a smaller pill box in your pocket for a few hours.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
Antiviral meds n testing
Next
detectable viral load after being undetectable 18 months

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.