side effects

i am hiv positive,taking 1st line ART(SLN),since last4 years,seen some sode effects like fat on stomach,numbness and recently developing a hump on back side of neck. my question is should i change the medicine? I can not take ZLN combination . what drug should I take now?

Hello and thanks for posting- from the medications that you list, it's clear that you don't live in North America or Western Europe.

Stavudine/lamivudine/nevirapine is not longer a recommended first-line treatment here or by current World Health Organization guidelines. It would sound as if you have two side effects of your current medications; lipodystrophy (fat changes) and neuropathy.

The former is difficult to treat, and though you describe fat accumulation, abnormal fat loss in the face, arms, and legs is often associated with long-term use of stavudine (Zerit).

Neuropathy (if this is what your numbness is) is typically bilateral, and starts at the periphery (toes and fingers) and progressively gets close to the trunk. Also associated with stavudine, it can improve if caught early and stavudine is replace with an alternative regimen.

Here, we'd consider a replacing stavudine with tenofovir or abacavir.

So, based on this brief overview, if alternative medications exist where you live, it's worth having a conversation with your doctor about the options and the merits of a change.

I hope that's a helpful start, BY

Manuka Honey & HIV
Follow up to:****Please respond to me...very concerned mother*****