Manuka Honey & HIV

I'm wondering if there are any studies on Manuka honey & it's effects on HIV virus and/or contraindications with HIV meds. I've read both good & bad things about the antiviral properties and was wondering if it's safe to use. I have a friend who was using it daily in hot tea before bedtime while on Atripla. His latest labs went backwards with his viral load being detectable and T-cells going down. He's wondering if the Manuka honey could be to blame especially since he was using it around the same time he took his Atripla. Thanks!

Hi and thanks for posting.

There are not peer-reviewed publications on Manuka honey and antiviral or HIV properties. I'd suggest searching the National Center for Biotechnology Information (also known as Pubmed) on the terms manuka and virus and/or HIV. You'll find that there haven't been any citations.

As such, I can't support the idea that the product has antiviral properties, and therefore don't recommend it for this purpose.

BY

pep and confusion over the window period for testing
side effects