pep and confusion over the window period for testing

Hi, I am only on my 6th day of pep but i am looking at my calendar alot more that i used to! As I am on pep treatment; I would like to know if this changes the window period for hiv testing? I know it is 12 week post exposure but does this mean the window period changes to 12 weeks post pep treatment? If I was to take my second hiv test at 6-7 weeks post possible exposure would the result be the same had i not done the pep course? I'm really hoping to know that at 6-7 weeks, if i am negative then this would be a huge plus infavour of me being negative at 12 weeks. Thanks David

Hi David,

PEP use doesn't change the recommended intervals for HIV testing-- this is usually done at 1 and 3 months post exposure. A test at 6-7 weeks as you are asking really won't change things, other than provide reassurance, but it's not enough of a certainty to say that you shouldn't continue to get testing at week 12. Indeed, I generally find all the intermediate testing to only raise anxiety.

Be well and safe, BY

severe anxiety panick attacks
Manuka Honey & HIV