****Please respond to me...very concerned mother*****

Hello Dr. Young, I also live in CO, and isn't it beautiful this time of year?!

I have a question regarding possible transmission. I know this is for questions for choosing meds, but I do hope you answer my question as I would really value your opinion.

I was playing volleyball and the girl I was warming up with started bleeding from her hand and got blood on the volleyball. We continued to pass the ball, not knowing there was blood on it, and some of the blood smeared from the ball onto my arm. The reason I am concerned is because I always have very dry, chapped hands, and where the blood was on my arm/wrist gets very dry too. I did not see any active bleeding at the time, but I know some of the cracks in my skin were on the verge of cracking open, because later that same evening, about 15-20 min later, one of my knuckles did crack open and started bleeding. If the blood smeared anywhere on my hands or wrists where there was some cracks in the skin (but no active bleeding at that time) would that be a risk for HIV, Hep B, or Hep C?

I have been so nervous because I am a breast feeding mother and I have also been saving my milk to donate to a milk bank, and I want to make sure everything is ok, so I don't put my baby or anybody else's baby at risk.

I was tested for HIV and Hep C with NAT at 9 weeks, as well as antibody testing for HIV, Hep B and Hep C, all negative, and then I got another antibody test for HIV, Hep B and Hep C at 13 weeks, all negative. Would this be conclusive or should I test out to 6 months, since I want to donate my milk? Please, please advise. Thank you so much for all you do!

Hello and yes, this is a good time in the 'hood.

First off, do you know anything about the girl you were playing Vball with? What's her HIV status.

Second, I don't think that even if she were to be HIV+, that you had a exposure that constitutes any risk.

Third, I don't think that you need any additional testing. (I wouldn't have counseled you to be tested in the first place (see point #2).

I hope that helps. Be well, BY

Memory loss, from Indonesia.
order of medications