Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Memory loss, from Indonesia.
Jun 1, 2012

Dear Dr Benjamin Young, My answer are yes to all your three questions about memory loss. I definitely got NCI. In Indonesia we lack of resources to overcome my problem. Please help me by telling what should I do to overcome this problem.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting from Indonesia.

Well, we don't yet definitely know if you have NCI, but you deserve extra evaluation now.

It's important to confirm if you have a neurocognitive issue or other medical condition that is causing memory problems.

The EACS guidelines now suggest trained neurocognitive medical evaluation that would include measurement of fluency, executive functions, speed of information processing, attention/working memory, verbal and visual learning and motor skills. If those tests are normal, then the group recommends repeating the 3 questions only after 2 years; if abnormal, then additional work up is recommended.

If your doctors are unfamiliar with this process (as many HIV doctors are-- they're infectologists, not neurologists) a referral or discussion with experts could be valuable.

Best of health to you. BY

Previous
Recommended First Line Therapy For Primary Infection
Next
****Please respond to me...very concerned mother*****

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.