Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

truvada + sustiva + time change
May 30, 2012

Hi, I live in Thailand and am travelling to The US in ten days time (Florida). I take Truvada and Sustiva every night (Thai time) at 9 pm before going to bed. There is an 11 hour time difference. My doctore here suggested that i adjust my dose by an hour a day so that when I arrive in The States I'll be taking my medicine at 9 pm Local. Would you think this is reasonable or should I just continue to take my meds at 9 pm Thai time (10 am Florida time). I plan to be in Florida for 5 weeks. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Frank,

You certainly can make the gradual adjustment, but if your viral load has been suppressed and you will be here for an extended period of time, I would just make the switch on the day your arrive...keep taking it at 9PM (US time). On the day you arrive you will be a few hours behind, and when you return you will be several hours early, but that will not cause any significant toxicity or risk for your meds. The meds are not cleared that quickly so there is some "forgiveness" in the dose timing. Also having 2 doses closer together will not be toxic, the levels will balance out again quickly.

Best, Joe

Previous
simple hiv question
Next
HIV meds and diabetes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.