Milk Thistle & HIV/AIDS

Hello Doctor , I was reading about the benefits of Milk Thistle for liver and kidney , I just need to know if is safe to take on my current regimen , truvada,prezista and norvir. please let me know!!!! I am just to afraid to take any supplement without asking an expert .

Thanks

Daylet.

Hello Daylet and thanks for posting.

With the exception of calcium and vitamin D, I usually don't recommend supplements for my patients.

While there are claims that some of the compounds in milk thistle might have benefits, I don't believe that they reach the standard of proof of both effectiveness and safety.

Indeed, a very recent report suggest that people taking herbal and dietary supplements may be at risk for liver injury severe enough to warrant an organ transplant.

BY

Kaletra and Zithromax interaction
+VE and would like to breastfeed