when can I start with my treatment

Thank u dr for yo answer. I again I have a question, when can I start my treatment. I took my cd4count last year September it was 467 they told me to come back June this year. What if my cd4count is still high that mean I won't start my treatment thank u

Response from Dr. McGowan

Currently, in the United States, we recommend treatment regardless of the CD4 count if the person is ready and has access to meds. Since we know that the virus is growing and is causing inflammtion inside the body, it is best to stop it and not wait for the immune system to becaome out of balance. This may protect the organs of trhe body (the liver, kidneys, blood vessels and brain) from injury. We view treatmnent as an opportunity to prevent disease from arising and not waiting for a particular level of immune imbalance before starting. The early benefits may be small and we are still waiting for a definite study (called the START Trial) to be sure about when the best time to start treatment really is. See how the numbers look, if there is decline it may be the time to start. Discuss the options with your care provider.

Joe

TPHA treatment
Survival of HIV (conflicting info in articles)