OCD and New Preventative

Hi, I have severe ocd and fear of Hiv. So severe that after a trauma I cannot now come out of the house for fear of being infected. I am of course in the care of a counselor and a psychologist without much luck. I wonder if it is going to be possible and helpful for me to take the new preventative pill that the FDA is going to approve. I was also wondering about its effectiveness since it does not appear to be 99% effective. Thank you for your time doctor. MJ

Hello and thanks for posting.

You refer to the recent FDA panel that recommended approval of Truvada for pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). The medication was found to be very highly effective in preventing HIV infection in sexually active, high-risk individuals. The key to success (just like in treatment of chronic HIV infection) was adherence to the daily pill. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued interim guidelines on the use of PrEP that might be useful to look over.

If you think that you're at significant risk, and that the routine use of condoms isn't realistic, then a conversation with your health care provider about the specific risks and benefits of PrEP is in order.

Be well and safe, BY

CSF exposure in nursing setting
FDA approves Truvada in Canada