Syphilis treatment

I was diagnosed with Syphilis in March of 2011 with a titer of 1:64. Previously I had had a negative RPR test in Nov. 2010, and May 2010 so the news was a surprise to me. I immediately took care of the matter and received an injection of penicillin. Fast forward one year, I chose to get tested again and had the exact same results, a titer of 1:64. My question is: is this considered a serofast reaction, or am I still positive. I am slightly confused on why the treatment may have not worked being as that it was a relatively new infection when discovered. Thank you for all of your assistance!

Hello and thanks for posting.

We usually strive to get syphilis testing after treatment (to make sure that the treatment worked); in your case, it doesn't appear that this was the case. As such, it's difficult to know if your lack of change of titers from over the past year represents failure to respond or new infection.

In this circumstance, if you're otherwise asymptomatic, we'd typically retreat you with penicillin (as if you had recurrent latent primary infection) and follow your RPR titers.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Oral Symtoms
CSF exposure in nursing setting