Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Syphilis treatment
May 17, 2012

I was diagnosed with Syphilis in March of 2011 with a titer of 1:64. Previously I had had a negative RPR test in Nov. 2010, and May 2010 so the news was a surprise to me. I immediately took care of the matter and received an injection of penicillin. Fast forward one year, I chose to get tested again and had the exact same results, a titer of 1:64. My question is: is this considered a serofast reaction, or am I still positive. I am slightly confused on why the treatment may have not worked being as that it was a relatively new infection when discovered. Thank you for all of your assistance!

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

We usually strive to get syphilis testing after treatment (to make sure that the treatment worked); in your case, it doesn't appear that this was the case. As such, it's difficult to know if your lack of change of titers from over the past year represents failure to respond or new infection.

In this circumstance, if you're otherwise asymptomatic, we'd typically retreat you with penicillin (as if you had recurrent latent primary infection) and follow your RPR titers.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Previous
Oral Symtoms
Next
CSF exposure in nursing setting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.