Viral load up and cd4 count down

Dr. For the past two years I have been on Atripla. My viral load and cd4 improved significantly over the past two years. However my latest results show a percentage decline in my cd4 count, also for the first time since taking treatment my viral load became detectable by a few % points. Since late march I have been taking roaccutane for acne that has been with me since teenage years. Secondly on the day I went for the latest tests I had just been on a liposuction surgery 2 days after liposuction. Could my little drop in cd4 and detectable viral load be due to the roaacutane and the effect of liposuction? should I change treatment? Should I just continue taking Atripla and hope for the best? Should I discontinue roaccutane?

Hi and thanks for posting.

I'd have to wonder (like you) that the stress of the surgery could have resulted in the changes in your monitoring tests. Since neither I or you can be sure, a simple repeat set of tests (done without any recent physical stressors) will help answer this question.

I would certainly continue taking the Atripla. Any change in treatment on the basis of treatment failure, would require a confirmatory viral load test and (if possible) a drug resistance test. Only with the results of a resistance test would your doctor be able to thoughtfully design a next regimen.

Be well, BY

Off medication for 6 yrs.
pevacid and nexium