New Quad pill

Will you be having your patients switch to the new quad pill if they have done well on atripla. I've been on sustiva and atripla since they became avail. Not any problem with bad dreams. If, which is very rare, I ever wake up during the middle of the night, I do feel the fogginess. Once, I forgot to take atripla at bedtime and took it in the morning.. wow, the fogginess. Other than that, I'm doing well in all labs, <20, nice cd4, etc.. Any thoughts?

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you're a frequent reader of my posts, you'll see that I'm a relatively conservative, "ain't broke, don't fix", kinda doctor. Much of this is based on the observation that in most clinical studies, regimens overall are very similar (non-inferior) to one another.

I'd need compelling reasons to switch someone off of a well-tolerated regimen to a newer regimen. So, while there are many people who aren't optimally tolerating their Atripla regimen, it doesn't seem like your one of them (save for that mid-evening fogginess).

A switch to the future Quad would replace efavirenz (in Atripla) with cobicistat/elvitegravir. That switch probably wouldn't improve your already excellent viral suppression and CD4s, probably would improve the evening fogginess, but risks even a small possibility of new side effects.

So, if it were me, I'd probably sit tight and continue on your excellent performing meds.

Just my 2c. BY

very scared
aluvia and truvada given with cd4 count of 659