Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Haven't Started with my Med
May 11, 2012

Hi...am 22year old female. Late last year I went to test as I usually did after 3months then found out I was infected with HIV(+) then did all the procedures of taking my blood to the lab to check my CD4count nd I got the results after 2days which they were 451! I was referred to the local clinic with my lab results. When I got there they told me to came back after 3months as my Cd4count hasn't detected that I should start with treatment! After 3months I went there to get my blood took again and the results said my Cd4count had increased to 699 and they still said I must come again after 3months again! On my long wait iv been taking supplements that I buy from the chemist to bust my immune-system so I don't get sick...Am worried that the longer I take to start taking my ARV's I might get sick and my Cd4count could drop! Please help me out what can I do or what advise would u give me that I can do to take initiatives

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Current US treatment guidelines suggest treatment for most people living with HIV, assuming that they are able to be adherent to medications. This is a transition from earlier days when we would wait until CD4 counts dropped to lower than normal levels. Your CD4 counts are not terribly low, so there is some time to sort out all of your health issues. This is a time that I work with my patients to get their primary care and preventive medical issues dialed- vaccinations, pap smears, talk of substance use (or over use), diet and exercise. Such strategies are good for your long term health.

I wouldn't waste your money on supplements that purport to improve immunity-- they're largely untested and not validated.

A key thing for you to do at this point (and to answer your question) is to dialog with your care providers about your health and treatment options. Of course, please feel free to write me back at TheBody.com anytime.

BY

Previous
Starting the treatment
Next
pills

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.