Pregnant and on Atripla

Good Day Dr,I just found out that i am 4 weeks pregnant and all this time I was taking Atripla.What are the chances of my baby being harmed by the medication?

Hello and thanks for posting.

While we generally wouldn't start an efavirenz-containing regimen (like Atripla) during the first trimester of pregnancy, the risks of problems is very low (indeed, in some countries, it's perfectly acceptable). The real improvement in risk to your baby is to keep your HIV viral load undetectable with what ever regimen works best for you.

If your already on and tolerating Atripla, you could continue. In our centers, we'd likely switch you to a more preferred regimen for pregnancy- namely Combivir (AZT+3TC) and a boosted protease inhibitor (such as Kaletra).

I hope that's helpful. Best of health to you and your baby. BY

Atripla and Sexual dysfunction
stop taking PEP because of low risk?