Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP and Testing
May 9, 2012

Hi Doc. 28hours after condom broke on partner who tested positive the next day, I was prescribed combivir as PEP. I am in South Africa and 'circumcised'. This was the first 'traumatising event of my life. I caught a flu last night (day 17 PEP)and doctor gave me a flu vaccine which i understand affects Rapid Antibody tests. What should i do now since this can present false positives for up to 4months. Should i take a PCR 7days after PEP completion? i need to continue studying asap. Also doctor, do you think i'l be fine? im doing honours accounting and badly need my future.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Influenza vaccine generally doesn't affect the results of HIV testing, and any tiny effect wouldn't be expected to last 4 (really, 4!?) months.

I generally don't recommend doing expensive PCR tests after PEP, since it's HIV antibody testing that is going to provide the definitive proof of HIV status.

While you had a risky exposure, you should know that any single sexual encounter has a very low probability of transmitting HIV. The fact that you went onto PEP treatment means that your risk is even lower. So, yes, all of us desire healthy futures. I'd expect yours (even, God forbid, HIV+) to be good.

Be well, BY

Previous
my partner has a question
Next
Atripla and Sexual dysfunction

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.