Mixing Atripla And Extenze

I saw that someone asked this question a few years ago and I wanted to know if there were updates. Can I use extenze while on Atripla? It really helps with Ed.

Hi Ed and thanks for posting.

Here's what I posted a few years ago:

"A quick question and maybe a quick answer; but a complex analysis.

I wouldn't recommend taking Extenze if you're taking tenofovir/FTC/efavirenz (Atripla).

There are many products in the Extenze pill (Ginseng-Eleuthero, Oat Straw, Saw Palmetto, Tribulus Terrestris, Sarsaparilla Calcium, Yohimbe, Maca Extract, Catuaba Muira Puama Nettle Astragalus, Cayenne, Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Boron, Zinc).

Many of the interactions between these compounds and those in Atripla of these have not been studied. For example, Ginko is metabolized by the liver cytochrome P450 system-- the very way the efavirenz is eliminated from the body, leading to potential problems. There is at least one published case report of treatment failure and sub-therapeutic levels of efavirenz in a patient who was also taking Ginko. Given such unknowns, I don't advise the mixing of HIV medications with supplements and herbals, unless well characterized."

We can add now add the realization of Extenze's steroid ingredient DHEA's drug interactions to this potential list of issues. (BTW, this resulted in at least one prominent athletic drug suspension).

BY

Atripla to Complera
viral load test