colchicine plus anti-HIV drugs

I have been taking .6 mg of colchicine everyday, along with my regimen of Truvada, Reyataz and norvir. I've heard that colchicine is contraindicated with these drugs, but my doctor says it's okay because I take such a small dose of colchicine. Do you agree?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I don't agree.

Colchicine, a medication used to treat acute gout attacks and to prevent recurrences does have the potential to interact with HIV medications- in particular, HIV protease inhibitors, like your ritonavir (Norvir) and atazanavir (Reyataz). The interaction has the potential to significantly increase the levels of colchicine in your blood, and therefore the risk of toxicity.

It's recommended that if you require colchicine, that the dose you take be reduced from normal by 75%. That would mean going from 0.6 mg daily to 0.15 mg daily (a quarter tablet). This dose would require cutting your tablet into smaller fragments, something that a pill cutter would be very helpful in doing.

Of course, anytime you have a potential drug interaction doesn't mean that you can't take the combination, but rather that you need to be mindful of the possibility of problems and monitor things accordingly.

I hope that helps, BY

Is using 1x Efavirenz 600mg and 2x zidolam tablets daily good to start with?
Atripla to Complera