Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is using 1x Efavirenz 600mg and 2x zidolam tablets daily good to start with?
May 6, 2012

I have lived in east Africa as an aid worker for over 10 years building schools. I am married with 4 children. I have had one partner my entire life but recently I was diagnosed with HIV and a cd4 count of 315. Am shocked/devastated as I am 27 weeks pregnant also. My local dr has started me on above medication but I worry that it could be out of date. Is it still recommened? Where I live cannot do viral load but Nairobi has a place. Should I go and get it done? Are there any better combinations of medicines which are better than what my dr has given me? Am happy to fly to the first world if you think I should

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting from Africa.

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. The regimen that you're taking is widely used in many countries, though less commonly here in the US, where the AZT/3TC is usually replaced with tenofovir/FTC or abacavir/3TC to allow once-daily dosing.

Your pregnancy adds an additional consideration- the combination of AZT/3TC (we call Combivir, you call Zidolam) is recommended for pregnant women.

Viral load testing is recommended for management here in the US and in Europe and would be especially helpful prior to delivery of your baby, since having an undetectable viral load predicts very low risk of HIV transmission to the child.

It's probably not necessary for your to fly to the rich countries to receive care, but ask your doctor about his or her level of experience and certainly feel free to write us here at TheBody.com with any questions.

Best of health to you, BY

Previous
Hiv + Sexual relation with wife.
Next
colchicine plus anti-HIV drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.