The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried about possible resistant gonorrhea

May 6, 2012

Hi there. Recently I have been having almost a textbook presentation of the signs of gonorrhea. I've had the white-yellowish curdled discharge, the burning urination, the "crawling" sensation in my urethra and a pretty constant dripping in my underpants. This resulted to what I believe to by my last sexual encounter which was with a woman that you can consider a "friend with benefits." We initially used condoms everytime but the last time we didn't. I informed her of my symptoms and she has told me she's had nothing (which doesn't negate my suspicions as I realize female gonorrhea can be asymptomatic). Before my urine test, my doctor prescribed me azythromycin 4 pills (for possible Chlymidia) and Suprax PO 400 all in a cocktail to be taken once. My symptoms had a short clearance but then were back. I called in a few days later and the doc prescribed me Flagyl 2grams PO. I took that, and again, I noticed some reprieve of symptoms but then they came back once again. I got a call this morning stating that my urine test is negative for chlymidia and gonorrhea. But I'm almost convinced this is a false negative.

Considering that I am convinced what I have is gonorrhea and that the urine test wasn't sensitive enough, my biggest concern is that I have some antibiotic resistant strain of gonorrhea. I have been reading recent news stories stating how difficult it is becoming to treat this once easily curable std. I am saddened within myself that I am reading all this information after the fact. Suprax is a 3rd generation cephalosporin and considered standard for eradicating this bug as you know. It's strong stuff, so I was told by the pharmacist. Even if what I have isn't gonorrhea, it's got to be something nasty to withstand 3 types of antibiotics. I find myself slowly slipping into a cold paranoia that my treatment options may be running dry. I have an appointment with the doc again tomorrow and I plan on figuring out if this is indeed gonorrhea as suspected with a more sensitive test and if it is, I hope to request a Rocephin 250mg injection which may have some hope. I wish people out there would spread the news that HIV is no longer becoming the only serious risk of unprotected sex.

My question for the experts is how bad was it that I "primed" my infection with a taste of antibiotic. Will this lead to a decreased chance of me overcoming this infection? What will I do if the Rocephin doesn't work on the infection? I am having so much trouble finding information online about hard to kill gonorrhea strains. Every source is a news article stating the impending doom, not much information on what to do about it other than sit around and wait for science to advance. Any information, tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate. I would like to be as informed as possible and find it ridiculous to consider there is no hope beyond Rocephin, although I am very concerned.

Thank you, Marc

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Marc,

Drug resistant gonorrhea is of growing concern, but the Suprax (cefixime) that you took is a recommended treatment for this.

Your probably putting the treatment horse before the diagnostic cart, as if you're still having symptoms, then the first thing to do is to run back to the doctor and get reevaluated. There's a lot of very treatable things out there that could be the problem-- long before I'd call for doom or no hope.

Be well, BY

Atripla not dissolving in my system
How am I doing?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint