The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

positive US Citizen retiring in Mexico

Apr 30, 2012

I would like to retire in Mexico. My insurance will reemburse me for any medical treatment I receive for my HIV while in Mexico. What problems would I likely need to consider? Will I be able to continue my current HART? Can I get a regular residency permit to stay there?

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Once again, I've asked our friend, Dr. Jair Garcia from Monterrey, Mexico to answer:

Thanks for your question. Im an HIV physician here in Monterrey, Mexico, so I can respond you with a lot of evidence. As I imagine you know, here in my country we give HAART for HIV patients for free. All you need is join the Popular Insurance (Seguro Popular), which is the Open Insurance for everybody (even foreing pupulation). When you recieve your "Popular Insurance Policy" youll receive a identification card and a paper form. "Popular Insurance" ("Seguro Popular") is one of the ways to recieve social security here in Mexico. To join you must present some documents (Passport, address proof, CURP, "CURP" means: Unique Population Register Code, and is available here: The "Popular Insurance Policy" can be free if your demonstrated wage is low, or can cost (its very cheap).

Congratulations of deciding live here in Mexico: I know its pretty dangerous right now (:S) but there are still some beautiful beaches or paradise towns in where you can be so sappy J Kindest regards from the north of Mexico! Jair García-Guerrero, MD

Scared and Sleepless in South Africa
sinus issues

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint