positive US Citizen retiring in Mexico

I would like to retire in Mexico. My insurance will reemburse me for any medical treatment I receive for my HIV while in Mexico. What problems would I likely need to consider? Will I be able to continue my current HART? Can I get a regular residency permit to stay there?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Once again, I've asked our friend, Dr. Jair Garcia from Monterrey, Mexico to answer:

Thanks for your question. Im an HIV physician here in Monterrey, Mexico, so I can respond you with a lot of evidence. As I imagine you know, here in my country we give HAART for HIV patients for free. All you need is join the Popular Insurance (Seguro Popular), which is the Open Insurance for everybody (even foreing pupulation). When you recieve your "Popular Insurance Policy" youll receive a identification card and a paper form. "Popular Insurance" ("Seguro Popular") is one of the ways to recieve social security here in Mexico. To join you must present some documents (Passport, address proof, CURP, http://www.seguro-popular.gob.mx/). "CURP" means: Unique Population Register Code, and is available here: http://www.gobernacion.gob.mx/es/SEGOB/Consulta_tu_CURP The "Popular Insurance Policy" can be free if your demonstrated wage is low, or can cost (its very cheap).

Congratulations of deciding live here in Mexico: I know its pretty dangerous right now (:S) but there are still some beautiful beaches or paradise towns in where you can be so sappy J Kindest regards from the north of Mexico! Jair García-Guerrero, MD

Scared and Sleepless in South Africa
sinus issues