risk of hiv

On 21st april i went for a shooting and they me an earring to wear. They took out the earring from an earring pack as we get from buying outside. I have a wound which did not hurt under the earring hole. Before wearing the earring i swiped it out with my hand. when i wore it the wound didn't hurt. When i went home i rubbed my ear with alcohol and the would did not burn. the morning i rubbed with alcohol again and the wound didn't hurt either. but the third day the wound was burning, I dont know who have worn the earring before. Is there any risk of hiv or hepatitis infection through the means i described? Thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

There was no blood to blood contact in what you have described. HIV would not survive on a solid surface, such as an earing, for very long. That would not be a concern here. Also, hapatitis B or C would be unlikely to be spread this way and would not cause pain and burning of the wound. It may be that the wound you have has become infected with bacteria, which would not be directly related to any particular earring used. Have your doctor look at it to see if you need any antibiotics.

Joe

PEP late by 90min am I ok?
lymph nodes