milk thistle.

Dear dr Young, I will not promise that I will never bother you anymore in the future, but please just one question more. I do spread your answers around my HIV supporting group overhere in Amsterdam. We did discuss milk thistle as a supplement to support the liver. For example 3 of our group use Truvada and Viramune. But we all thinking about using milk thistle. What do you recommend??? We all use now vitamin D as you recommend. Again thank you so much for the help.

Roy from Amsterdam

Hello Roy and good to hear back from you.

There's some literature about possible benefits of milk thistle on the liver, but not enough for me to endorse it's use. At the very least, if you choose to use the supplement, be sure to let your doctor know so that he or she can monitor your health appropriately.

In general, I don't widely support using unproven products, be they herbals, unusual diet or unapproved use of licensed medications. Mostly, I'd recommend focusing on a good balanced diet, regular exercise and avoidance of tobacco and excess alcohol-- there you'll see proven benefits to health.

Be well, BY

PEP - Yes or No? Please help!
re: which med is it?