Wasting, and want to take Serostim

Hello, I have been positive for around 5 years, In that time I have wasted considerably. I have lost about 50 pounds of muscle tissue, and gained fat. My CD4 is 700 and my viral load is 11,000. I feel extremely tired, no endurance, no appetite, and very weak. This wasting has disabled me.

My doctor just precribed for me ARV treatment, but He would not prescribe Serostim for me. I have 3every symptom listed on the Serostim criteria for HIV wasting. I feel that I am missing out on an important treatment. My Doctor said I would feel better once the ARV kicks in, but I want to treat the wasting itself with Serostim as well as taking ARV. Please help, maybe I need a more forward thinking Doctor?

Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert and thanks for posting.

I'd tend to agree with your doctor. In my practice, hGH (Serostim) is generally reserved for people who are not responding to HIV medications. Since your just getting started, I'd be a little more patient with the process-- the best treatment for AIDS wasting is ARVs. Having said that, I'm assuming that your doctor has looked at other causes for fatigue and muscle loss- such as endocrine (thyroid, testosterone) or mental health problems.

You will undoubtedly begin to feel better after only a few weeks on your ARVs.

Be well, and write back to keep us informed of your progress. BY

What are the best HIV drugs out there for first time treatment?
Re: Which med is it?