What are the best HIV drugs out there for first time treatment?

I was diagnosed with HIV in July of last year. I'm a 22 year old male. I have not yet taken any medication because my CD4 counts have been good so far, but I have a feeling I may need to start medications soon. If you were my doctor, what drugs would you prescribe to me? What do you think are the best classes of drugs out there with the least side effects down the line? Is it worth waiting for the quad pill this summer? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

The best answer is that there isn't any single regimen that's best for all people. We choose medications based on viral resistance patterns, your current health status (and risks for complications) as well as a wide variety of life style factors. We're now benefiting from 3 different single tablet regimens as well as a host of alternative regimens- all recommended by the 2012 US treatment guidelines.

For a review, I'd suggest taking a look at TheBody.com's Resource Center on Starting HIV Treatment.

Be well, BY

lamivudine
Wasting, and want to take Serostim