Which med is it??

Dr. Dear Doc,

I am 46 yr old m have been on isentress and truvada beautifully. However, I recently have had bad reactions to one of the components. Dizzy, edgy, stomach upset, general blah, HA, flushing, etc. and aND A er VISIT TO FIGURE OUT.I have taken the tRuvada many yrs before the Isentress. So, I think the isentress is culprit. Dr. starting Complera in a few days. Hope for best. Any history of anything like this before? Whats your take? Thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

As you point out, the key thing is trying to sort out which of your three medications is causing the side effects.

It's pretty unusual for a medication that you've taken for some time (such as Truvada) to be the new cause of side effects. On the other hand, Isentress is typically very well tolerated and it's decidedly unusual to see it cause all of the symptoms you describe.

A simple way to test if the Isentress is the culprit is to continue taking the Truvada and hold the Isentress for a day. There's little risk of these missed doses, and if the symptoms improve, then you'd know the cause.

Provided that Isentress seems to be the problem and you can work with the food requirement for Complera, this should be a reasonable strategy.

Hope that helps. Be well, BY

Vitaimin D deficiency and supplementation while on Atripla
RE which med is it?