The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

diet support the liver
Apr 10, 2012

Hi I do hope this time I will have a answer. I use Truvada and Viramune 400mg. everything is one. Because of the medicine we all use I m a bit worried about my liver. I do drink beer ( not excessive) but could you recommend food, tea vitamins or whatever what could support the liver? I red something about White tea, one said it is really healthy but I red also that it is not good for the liver like milk chocolate etc. Please could you give me ( us) advise????? thanks so much Roy Amsterdam

Response from Dr. Young

Hello Roy from Amsterdam (one of my favorite cities of the world),

Liver health is an area that many rightfully pay attention to. Alcohol is something that is generally safe in moderation for most otherwise healthy individuals, including those who take HIV medications. On the other hand, if you have liver disease, or chronic viral hepatitis, I don't recommend alcohol, since there's evidence that the extra drink might actually increase the risk of liver disease progression. Similarly, acetaminophen (Tylenol) should be use with caution by this later group of people.

As for other diet or supplements, I don't find that there's any compelling evidence that this makes a large difference for liver health.

For all persons living with HIV, preventative vaccinations for hepatitis A and hepatitis B virus are recommended as is routine periodic laboratory assessments.

Be well, BY

Question About Liver Labs
Medication and Alcohol

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint