Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question About Liver Labs
Apr 10, 2012

Dr. Young,

You recently answered a question about liver labs being elevated. It got me wondering about mine and how I always get conflicting info. This sounds like a waste of time question, but I do get various opinions on what's really "normal." My liver labs are always in the normal range. Sometimes they are on the low end of normal, but most times they are at the higher end of normal on the lab reference. Of course, I would think they are in the normal range, so why even discuss them. However, I've had a few folks (even a doc) say being on the high end of normal means there is some irritation and you really want to be on the low end of normal. Is this true? Does it really matter? Is normal not really normal? I googled ALT and have been reading where many believe ALT needs to be revised to show normal being anything under 30, saying many labs show normal going all the way to 70, which they say is too high for normal.

Thanks!

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

I suspect that you're probably over-reading (or over "Googling") your lab results. The normal range of labs is established by looking at a population of healthy (and usually young) individuals. The reference range are those values that encompass 95% of these individuals, and is typically validated by clinical laboratory associations.

There's no credible data that I'm aware of that says that it's better to be on the low side of normal, or that the higher side of normal is something to be concerned about.

Hope that helps. BY

Previous
high viral count, CD4 count is fine. what to do?
Next
diet support the liver

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.