detectable after 2 years and a half

Hi doctors, I started HAART 2 years and a half ago with kivexa and stocrin (at that point my pcr was high 207000 copies/ml. I was undetectable 4 months after starting treatment and stayed undetectable all the time (last time in October 2011) but my last result (from yesterday) was 103 copies/ml. My doctor (very experienced with 20 years practise) told me to repeat blood test in 2 months and that probably there was no need to worry. Is it too long to wait 2 months regarding possible resistance and would you do test earlier if you were in my place? I am confused and very worried since I haven`t missed a single dose for all this time and there hasn`t been any risk of reinfection. Thanks for all your work here.

Hi and thanks for posting.

I'm in general agreement with your doctor. Since you've been adherent to your HIV medications, there's little concern that you're developing drug resistance or treatment failure.

Low level viral loads generally are not that significant. Ask yourself if you had a cold sore, or respiratory tract infection (or something minor like that) when you had your last tests drawn. These things often account for the low level detectable viral loads (things we call viral blips). Previous studies have shown that blips almost always have no risk of developing drug resistance.

Be well, BY

second exposure PEP
Can I get aids at a hair salon?