Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

detectable after 2 years and a half
Apr 7, 2012

Hi doctors, I started HAART 2 years and a half ago with kivexa and stocrin (at that point my pcr was high 207000 copies/ml. I was undetectable 4 months after starting treatment and stayed undetectable all the time (last time in October 2011) but my last result (from yesterday) was 103 copies/ml. My doctor (very experienced with 20 years practise) told me to repeat blood test in 2 months and that probably there was no need to worry. Is it too long to wait 2 months regarding possible resistance and would you do test earlier if you were in my place? I am confused and very worried since I haven`t missed a single dose for all this time and there hasn`t been any risk of reinfection. Thanks for all your work here.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

I'm in general agreement with your doctor. Since you've been adherent to your HIV medications, there's little concern that you're developing drug resistance or treatment failure.

Low level viral loads generally are not that significant. Ask yourself if you had a cold sore, or respiratory tract infection (or something minor like that) when you had your last tests drawn. These things often account for the low level detectable viral loads (things we call viral blips). Previous studies have shown that blips almost always have no risk of developing drug resistance.

Be well, BY

Previous
second exposure PEP
Next
Can I get aids at a hair salon?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.