Reyataz vs Edurant

Hello. I am on treatment with Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir for one year. On a daily basis I face some annoying side effects for 6 hours related to stomach (indigestion, a feeling of vomiting etc) and that affects my daily life, as I cannot drink or eat something after getting the drugs. In addition to this, there are some nutricion disorders (cannot drink milk etc). My doctor advised me to get Edurant instead of Norvir/Reyataz. Is this the best option than getting Prezista or something else? Thank you.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question, sorry to hear about your side effects.

Edurant (rilpivirine), is a med in the non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase (NNRTI) class of drugs, it works differently to kill HIV than the Reyataz or Prezista (which are protease inhibitors). So the first key question is to be sure that your virus carries no resistance to this new calss of meds. Your doctor should have the results of testing. Also, Edurant needs to be taken with a good meal (at least 400 calories) so you need to be able to eat with it. Also, it should not be used with medisines (called PPIs) that lower acid in the stomach.

Prezista could be an option, but it also has to be given with Norvir (ritonavir), if your GI upset is due to norvir than this switch may not help.

Hope this info helps.

Joe

Quad Pill
Antiretovirals in AFRICA