HBV Patient Medicine Question

I currently have no insurance, but have access to medical care at Howard Brown here in Chicago. My question is: For 10-12 years I was on Viread for the most part and Epivir for a shorter time. My script for Truvada is almost gone and without insurance I have the option of NOT taking any medicine or taking the Truvada or Epivir that I have (it was left over from mail order, not expired). My question is what would be the best medicine to switch to, I am assuming the Viread since basically going off the truvada will mean I am still on the viread, just losing the other medicine thats in truvada. While on Viread, my LFTs were normal, no side effects and Viral load undetectable. I have an appointment at Howard Brown, but its a month away.

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you're running out of your medications, the thing to do isn't to wait an additional month to speak to the kind folks at Howard Brown. Rather, call them right away, speak to your case manager to find our what strategies are best for you to obtain your medications. There are a variety of programs, ranging from patient assistance to community medication banks. Similarly, it would be good to have a telephone conversation with your healthcare provider for advice. Stopping all HBV medications abruptly has some risks of a return of the virus and flair in liver inflammation.

If your HBV (but not HIV) infected, tenofovir (Viread) alone can be very effective, but without knowledge of the specifics of your circumstances, it's tough to provide detailed advice on this.

BY

Is PEP Combivir necessary?
neuropathy