Is PEP Combivir necessary?

My daughter was exposed to vomit from an advanced aids patient who vomited and sneezed the vomit in her face as she was helping her swallow. She is not sure if any of the spray entered her eyes and it was approximately 6 minutes before she could wash her face and eyes. The doctor prescibed PEP Combivir (40) pills and did a baseline bloodtest. There seems to be some dangerous side effects for Combivir. Should she take this medication for the 20 days? Is there any danger for her contracting the virus from the spray? She said the vomit and spray was pinkish in color. (blood?)

This sounds like a very low risk exposure, particularly since it's not even clear if there was an exposure to the eyes. I'm not sure that I'd recommend PEP for this exposure.

That said, with clinical monitoring, Combivir is generally safe for the short time of PEP treatment. Also, PEP treatment is for 28, not 20 days.

BY

Please read: Being forced onto a generic version of Truvada
HBV Patient Medicine Question