Please read: Being forced onto a generic version of Truvada

I live in Thailand, and have been on Truvada and Stocrin for about a year, since my positive diagnosis in January of 2011. These medications are imported by and distributed through the Red Cross. When I went to place my new order, my doctor contacted me back to say that she could no longer get name-brand Truvada, and that the RC was now purchasing and distributing a generic version that is produced by a company in India. The upshot is that it is 50% the cost of Truvada, the reason the RC wanted to make the switch, saving people money. However, I am concerned with quality and potency of the generic version - should I be? It looks like I have no choice, since this is the only inlet of these medications to this country. Can you please give me any thoughts or knowledge you may have on this. Thanks!

~Concerned in Thailand

Hi and thanks for posting from Thailand.

Cost of medications is a very serious concern, both in wealthy and not-so-wealthy places. Fortunately, the quality of the generic medication in Thailand is very good; indeed, because of the PEPFAR program, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) actually provides quality oversight for many of these products.

I hope that helps. Let us know how the transition goes for you. BY

72 hours deadline met?
Is PEP Combivir necessary?