The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Japan Move
Mar 31, 2012

Hello, I am moving to Japan permanently for work. I was diagnosed 1 month ago. My CD4 is 245 and VL 167000. My doctor here wants me to start Atripla, and then go see a new doctor in Japan, but that could take me a few months. I can take the Atripla with me, a 3 months supply. I don't know if they have Atripla in Japan, and they might need to change my treatment there. Should I wait 3 more months and see a Japanese doctor before starting any treatment or start Atripla now? Thank you so much.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

First, with your current lowish CD4 and high viral load, I wouldn't recommend waiting too long to start medications. Indeed, with a three month lead time, one could be certain that your going to have sufficient time to monitor your side effect and lab response to treatment. While this isn't your question, it would be worthwhile making sure that this is your best treatment option- for example, do you have normal kidney function and don't have history of fragility fracture. Does your job require frequently night shifts?

There are excellent HIV care facilities in Japan- I just returned from working with the doctors in Tokyo. As I understand, the medications in Atripla are available in Japan. Worse case, should you have tolerability issues, the same set of alternative medications are generally available there.

Be well, BY

Stopped treatment and shingles outbreak
PEP Regimen Question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint