Atripla and changing time zones

I travel from Chicago to London several times per month. Should I attempt to take my Atripla at bedtime Chicago time? That would be on the airplane shortly after takeoff, and then in London it would be early morning, being six hours later there. Then, coming home, I'd have to compute bedtime at home again.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Whoa, I feel your travel pain. Crossing the pond several times a month? Tough situation. Unless you really tolerate your Atripla without significant side effects, I'd be nervous telling you to take the pill before getting on your flight. It would be too tempting to the air traffic control gods to have your flight cancelled, and there you'd be a O'Hare with cognitive side effects.

Probably best to take the medication as soon as you're taking off (and knowing that the flight isn't going to be turned around). This should be fine, if you know that you have minimal side effects at the 5 hour post-dose period (and hence on arrival in London).

It does make sense to take the medication on the home bound leg at the destination bedtime, if you can.

No matter what, at least you'll collect a ton of frequent flier miles. Travel safe, BY

If this doesn't work out because of side effects, you might have to discuss switching to a less time-critical medication regimen.

missed medication
HIV meds and osteoarthritis