Lopinavir/Ritonavir

Dear doctor, I'm currently working in Cambodia and I have an Cambodian girlfriend. I know her a long time and we always had safer sex.Unfortunatel, yesterday it went wrong and the condom broke and to be honest, the HIV rate in this country is obviously very high. 10 hours later I was able to see a doctor. He recommended to take following drugs: Lopinavir200mg/Ritonavir50mg (daly twice 2 pills) + Lamivudine150mg/Zidovudine (daly twice 1pill). I started it immediately. Now I'm worried about the long list of sideffects and I'm wondering if you could give me some advices I need. I think I'll go through har 4 weeks.

Thank you very much in advance. Your advices would be very important for me.

Best regards Peter

Hello Peter and thanks for posting.

You're on an appropriate nPEP regimen and planned duration. Lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra, Alluvia) is associated with gastrointestinal side effects (nausea, diarrhea). Lamivudine/zidovudine is associated with nausea, headaches and fatigue. Both sets of side effects can be helped by taking the medications with food.

Of course, you should have follow up HIV antibody testing at 1, 3 and perhaps 6 months.

I hope that helps. Best of health to you, BY

HIV from Blood Draw, 14 wks pregnant
PEP - Dovir before test