Weight Gain

I am a lady aged 37yrs. Please help me as to what kind of foods I can eat to gain weight. I am from Zimbabwe. My weight used to be 64kg but now I am 51kg. I know I have the potential to do it but i am happy to receive advice.Is it a good idea to take supplements or not?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

For this answer I had to consult with the Nutritionist from our Program, Heather Anderson, RD.

Vitamin and mineral supplements will not help gain weight. The top two reasonably priced foods available to most people in the world that WILL help people gain weight is full fat dairy (can be from cow, goat etc.) and nuts or nut butters. These foods are beneficial because they are high calories, high in protein and good sources of healthy fats.

Some other useful suggestions include: - Add extra olive or canola oil when cooking lean meats, vegetables, stir-fry or soups. - Have 1/4 to 1/2 cup of nuts everyday. - Use natural peanut butter, the kind where the oil sits on the top, on sandwiches, with fruit or on crackers. - Add avocado slices to your sandwich or salad. - Sprinkle nuts or seeds into yogurt, cereal, oatmeal and stir fry. - Add nonfat powdered milk to potato dishes. - Blend a fruit smoothie of 1/2 banana, berries, nonfat milk and 1 tablespoon nonfat powdered milk.

Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

Joe

is blood splash injury to eye safe?
About to know Serostim