PEP Question

My doctor put me on Isentress and Truvada for npep therapy within 24 hours of exposure to HIV. (I had protected receptive sex, unprotected oral sex and unprotected penetrative sex (last one lasted about 2 minutes) with an HIV positive person). I'm one medication once a day and the second twice a day.

Does it matter what time during the day I take the medication? Can it be a few hours early/late? Will the timing of dosage effect the treatment?

Also, with my partner having an undetectable viral load, having had unprotected penetrative sex only about 2 minutes, and starting PEP within 24 hours - how worried should I be about my risk factors?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for the questions.

There is some "forgiveness" in the timing of these meds, that is a couple of hours early/late will not have a great impact on their blood levels and effectiveness. The level of medication in the blood does not drop suddenly at the next dosing time.

Since your partner's viral load is undetectable the risk to you would be very low of contracting HIV. The timing may be less relavent depending is he ejaculated or had pre-cum (which would remain in conatct with the mucous membranes longer) or if there was any trauma to the tissues. The main risk comes from the viral load, so it is very good that his was suppressed.

Best, Joe

Lower Cost Atripla/Viraday
Am I overreacting?