How soon before I see results

Hi There. I was just diagnosed with HIV. My CD4 count is 250 (High Concern for my doctor) and my viral load is 100 000. It seems that I have been infected for a while (did not know) and might even have been re-infected. I have started medication a week ago. How long before I can see positive results and what would my prognosis be? Could I reach undectable? Could my CD4 count go to about 800?

Hello and thanks for posting.

You should see results in a few weeks/months time. HIV viral loads respond quite rapidly to starting treatment, with an expectation of over 90% reduction in the first month and undetectable levels in 4-6 months (if not sooner). CD4 counts rise less rapidly, but we generally expect an additional. ~200 cells in the first year. 800 is a lofty goal, and since 350 is the lower limit of normal, I'd aim for this healthy value. That said, I do have many patients who reach the 750-1000 range. The issue is that since we don't know what your CD4 count was before HIV, we don't know what was "normal" for you.

I hope that's helpful, BY

tpha + treatment
missing drug one day or taking twice