Follow-up: T Cells decreasing but percentage stable after unknown illness

Hi Dr. McGowan,

I just wanted to follow-up about a question I had to you as it might help others. My specific case is that I have been on meds (Sustiva/Epzicom) for 5+ years. Since then I have been always undetectable and my CD4 count has steadily increasing from 225 to 650 with a CD4% in the 30s. In January of 2011, my CD4 Count was 650 with CD4% of 34. In June 2011, I had an unknown illness for several months that dropped my t-cells by neary half. I was tested for hep a,b,c but my doctor could not find any reason for my chronic fatigue. Since then, my numbers have been as follows:

June 2011: CD4 350 CD4% 35 July 2011 (retest): CD4 409 CD$%: 36 December 2011: CD4: 379, CD4%: 37

Based on your response that I might have something else stimulating my immune system, I went to see another doctor who found that I had h. pylori. I went on the 14 day treatment and within 1 month my fatigue that was constant for 7 months went away. I got my lab results today; my h. pylori has been eradicated and my CD4 jumped 120 points to 505 (35%), although I have my first blip of 126; this concerns me a little but my doctor says I should not worry as this is not uncommon.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass this along. Something as simple and common as h. pylori seemed to be the culprit that caused me lots of misery. Had I not been proactive, I would still be wondering why I feel so bad.

Best regards and thanks for your great advice!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for the follow-up. Sometimes chronic underlying conditions can go undiagnosed for long time periods unless a directed approach is undertaken. We monitor CD4 counts so closely that we get clues to these conditions more quickly. The same thing would happen to an HIV-uninfected person, but we would not pick it up since we do not test CD4 counts routinely.

Hope you continue to feel well.

Joe

Cool Drinks and grapes during ART?
re: Cancer risk: what's worst, high cd4 but not on meds or low cd4 but suppressed?