Changing meds overseas.

Hello, I am currently in Thailand and will be running out of my meds(norvir 100mg, prezista 400mg, and truvada) I have an appointment at Bangkok Hospital and they previously(2010) prescribed me Efavirenz (600 mg,lamivir 150mg, and viread).this combo worked very well. Is it advisable to switch back to this for a couple of months til I return to the States?

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you've not previously had issues with drug resistance, then there shouldn't be any problem in switching. Since Truvada (tenofovir+FTC) is very similar to Viread (tenofovir) +lamvir (3TC), the only real difference in the two regimens is efavirenz versus the Norvir-boosted Prezista. My concern is that the later is sometimes uses in the setting of drug resistance, especially in developing health systems, like Thailand.

I'd talk to your doctors about the advisability of switching.

Be well, BY

Want to take a drug holiday from Sustiva
cd 4 count and %