Kidney Monitor

Hello Doc,

I'am on Truvada+Isentress for about a month and before that I was on Atripla for a year. Recently I read on this website about potential kidney damage related to Tenofovir. I do the blood test regularly every 3 months for Full blood count, kidney,liver, VL and CD4. Is it good enough to monitor my kidney just through blood test? or I should ask my doctor for urine test as well?

If let say my dosing adherence about 90% , do I still have the possibility to develop drug resistance in the future?

Hi and thanks for posting.

Monitoring of renal function is important for all persons living with HIV, but perhaps particularly so for those persons who are taking tenofovir or have risk factors for kidney disease, such as diabetes, high blood pressure or who are older.

Checking urine for protein as well as blood creatinine levels are recommended as part of routine monitoring.

As for drug resistance, it's always best to aim high. We typically cite 95% as the goal, though with current regimens, like Atripla, or Truvada /Isentress there might be more wiggle room. The only way to really know if your adherence is good enough is to have your viral load checked (as it seems that you are). So long as that viral load stays undetectable, the risk of developing drug resistance is vanishingly low.

I hope that helps and wish you many years of health. BY

Maraviroc as PrEP?
TAKING 4-5 MEDS FOR HIV AND PCP... AND ABOUT TO TAKE 1 MORE